Mother's Day is just around the corner, May 10. Like just about everything else in our lives, it's going to look a bit different this year. But, I've discovered that, even during a global pandemic, most of what I've learned from my Mom over the years still rings true.
Life Lessons Learned from My Southern Mother
The more years that pass, the more lessons I learn from my mother about life, and love, and good cooking. Here's the top ten...
- Always make your cornbread (and most everything else) in an iron skillet.
- There's a time to be lady-like and a time to raise hell.
- When frying chicken, use "more salt than you think you need."
- "That dog won't hunt." Whether it's a potential love interest, a business proposition, or a newfangled gadget, substance wins over flash every time. Learn to recognize the difference.
- Stock your pantry well when you can. It makes life easier when you can't.
- When you are weeding the garden, you gotta dig up the roots.
- Always return mason jars. To not do so runs the risk being blacklisted from future gifts of chowchow and muscadine jelly
- If you are going to go through the trouble of making cinnamon rolls, you might as well make enough to share with the neighbors.
- If you don't send a thank you note for the wedding gift, don't expect anything for your baby shower.
- It's better to want something you don't have than have something you don't want.
Mother's Day Gifts During Social Distancing
Need to send Mom (or another someone special) a no-contact care package? I've got you covered. (Place your order on or before May 1st for pre-Mother's Day delivery.)
- Select the products you would like to send.
- In your cart, below the product listings, click "Add a note to your order."
- Type your gift message.
- Check out, making sure you use the correct shipping address for the recipient.
- I'll place your items in a gift bag (No extra charge!), add your gift message, securely pack your gift for shipping via Priority Mail, and send it on it's way.
- You get instant favorite kid status when your gift lands on her door step in just a few days!
Need help selecting a gift? Have a special request? Contact me!
What wisdom has your mom shared with you? Let me know in the comments!